Short (but true) Stories, Page 3

Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 08:41:47 -0800 (PST)
address anonymous

story My brother Chad and I, smetimes hear noises and see frightining things around our house. We know our mom hears things but she doesn’t admit it for fear of scaring us. Well anyway, one night me and my brother were sitting in the basement watching T.V. Suddenly, we heard footsteps in the opposite room. Panicked, we bolted upstairs and slammed the door shut. The footsteps stopped for a second but then continued up the stairs. We then took off outside and my brother’s friend came over. We’ll just say that his name is Harry to protect his identity.

After awhile we took Harry down the basement to see if it would happen again. It didn’t. So we started to watch T.V. again. Then out of nowhere we heard two firm footsteps in the opposite room again. Harry took off upstairs and ran home. But me and Chad had more courage this time. We called out to see who it was but all we heard was a piercing moan. Again, we ran upstairs but the footsteps didn’t come after us this time.

This was just one of the many experiences we have had with the paranormal. We don’t have time to tell them all.

Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 22:45:09 -0800 (PST)
yourname Don Lloyd

story One day in mid summer of 1997, my best friend Dan and I were driving to a town that was about an hour south of out hometowns. On the highway, while we were driving, we passed a cemetary on the left, and at the same time, Dan and I just shut up and I said “Dan?” and he says “I know!”. What astonished us so much was this: Through the cemetary, a rather large robed figure with a staff was drifting along (NOT walking), without legs moving, AND no cars were at the church. It was one of the most freaky things I have ever seen.

From: Peachy9918 (
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 21:41:14 EST
Subject: i have a story for you…

I don’t want to reveal the names of the people involved concidering they are my own family, but i will tell my story to you anyways because i find it quite interesting.

It was early january and there was snow covering the ground. my grandfather had just passed away recently and my grandmother’d doorbell rang every morning at 5am since the death. Everytime it rang she woke up, but it would only ring once. She had dreams about my grandfather everynight and one time she could have sworn that she had seen him standing in the doorway of her bedroom. Day after day the doorbell rang at 5am, not a minute sooner or later.

One day she got fed up with it and set her alarm for 4:57. She figured that she’d catch whoever was doing this. So the day came and her alarm woke her up. She got up and waited. While she was waiting she noticed that it must have snowed that night because there was a lot of snow on the ground.

The doorbell rang. She sprang from her chair and dashed to the door. She fumbled with the lock for only a second and opened the door to find nothing. There were no footprints or anything to show any presence of a human being there.

She walked back into the house with her door securely locked and said “Eddie, if this is you, stop it. I’m tired and i’m sick of getting woken up by the doorbell.”

Ever since then the bell has not rang without a person at the other side of the door.

I hope you can make use of this story. It is all true.

~ this is my email address if you have any comments or questions pertaining to this story.

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 20:43:01 -0700 (PDT)
address anonymous

story This story was passed down from my aunt and mother. It’s about a very strange television.

In the mid-1960’s, my grandfather worked at an auto-shop and was always called in to tow cars out of car wrecks. Sometimes the wrecks were fatal. On one occasion before my aunt’s 15th birthday, there was a fatal wreck in which an elderly couple was killed when their car stalled on a railroad track. The couple was identified, but had no family, so my grandfather got to take whatever he wanted from the trailer that was carrying most of their possessions (they were moving to Oklahoma from Arkansas). My grandfather chose the television to give to my aunt for her birthday.

She was excited to get the gift, and it worked great on the night of the party. She had friends staying over; they watched the T.V. all night. At around midnight when all of the T.V. stations went off the air, the partiers turned off the T.V. and headed to the kitchen for snacks. When they returned, the T.V. was on again, and showing old movies. The girls sat and watched them, and my aunt decided she would tell her dad in the morning.

The next morning she told him of the movies that were on, and he told her to get the T.V. and put it on the coffee table so he could take it to the repair shop on his lunch break. She did so, and she and my mom went about doing their daily chores. After about an hour, my aunt noticed my mom was preoccupied with something. Saturday morning cartoons were on the T.V., which was not plugged in or anywhere near an outlet.

They told their parents about this and immediately got rid of the television.

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 12:47:19 -0700 (PDT)
yourname April Plate

story One night, awhile back, my uncle and aunt were visiting and they stayed the night. During the middle of the night my uncle got up and went up the stairs to the bathroom, which awoke me. I couldn’t sleep after that so I waited until he went back to bed before I went downstairs for a glass of water. After I had my drink I hear footsteps going up the stairs and I wondered why my uncle was going up again. I went to the staircase and saw a man in a long brown robe with a hood over his head walking towards me. His hands were clasped together as he walked. He walked past me, down the stairs, and into the room my uncle and aunt were sleeping. I peeked into the room and saw that he was gone.

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 16:24:25 -0700 (PDT)
yourname Angie Myers

story Ghostly neighbor

It was a nice brisk November day – early part of the week before Thanksgiving last year, when I saw my neighbor Sam (not his real name) from the building next door. My husband and I would see him often hard at work, either shoving snow in winter or racking the leaves in the autumn. He was also the means of communication with the owner of the building he lived in.

One day I wanted to talk with him about a noisy neighbor in the building. I greeted him with a “Hello, how are you?”, I watched him go down the stairs until I could no longer see him behind the fence.

I heard him shuffle around with the leaves, I thought it was odd that he didn’t respond to my greeting. I didn’t think anything of it, I just left it to the fact that he didn’t hear me. I also thought he’s busy with racking leaves so, I’ll speak with him another time.

Later I saw his wife walking their dog. She then proceeded to informed me that Sam was killed in the “first week” in of November. I was in shock, more so, because I told her that I had just seen Sam a few days ago.

I haven’t seen Sam since then…

Angie : )

Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 19:57:41 -0700 (PDT)
address anonymous

story Just thought i would add a little to the bell cave witch story.

In 1987 i was stationed at Ft. Campbell KY, which sits on the KY-TN border around hopkinsville. My girlfriend and several of my unit buddies went to the bell witch cave for a halloween party. there was a band there and about 100 or so people. we sat around and listened to the band for a while and ate some food, drank a couple beers,etc. then someone started talking about the bell witch legend. three of us decided to get my flashlight(which was a brand new mag-lite)out of the truck and go see. we tested the flashlight before we went into the entrance of the cave(it had a very small waterfall close to the entrance if i remember correctly)anyhow..the flashlight worked perfectly.

we were young,macho military men of the 101st airborne-until we got about 50 yards into the cave. we started hearing scratching\screeching sounds(bats?) so we turned the flashlight on to look further into the cave. at that time the flashlight came on and then winked right back off. it was so dark we did not want to run back for fear of injury. so i tried to turn the flashlight back on. anyone who has ever used a mag-lite knows how the button is tactile like a key on a keyboard. i pressed it several times- i felt it click, but it never came back on. we could not see our hand in front of our face. at this time, with the sounds getting louder we did run like fools to the exit of the cave- i only hit the wall twice. once we were outside of the cave the flashlight came on as bright as can be. i must have left it clicked in the on position, because when it came on it surprised me. needless to say..we did not go into the cave anymore. all the hair on my arms was standing on end(and still does when i relate this story.)

Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 05:57:31 -0700 (PDT)
yourname Rich

story This is only a short ghost encounter but I hope you enjoy reading about my experiance.

I am from England and 22 years of age.

When I was about 10 years old and still in middle school when I encountered my first ghost like apparition. the school was on a lunch hour and all the children ( Myself included ) were playing out on the field. The sky was very blue and there was not a cloud in sight. Myself and a friend noticed the sky get very dark very quickly ( too fast for a storm ) the weather was calm and warm still but the sky was now nearly black. From out of the dark clouds came an air plane – but now just a normal one – this one was a pure white spitfire plane. To my knowledge there has never been a pure white spitfire built and even if there was there was no engine noise at all, and it just dissapeared as quickly as it appeared. There was an abandoned airodrome nearby so that may be ave been the ghost plane that was shot down in a one of the world wars. Well thats my story, I am now 22 and I still remember it like it was yesterday, my friend remembers it as clearly as I do.



Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 18:32:36 -0700 (PDT)
yourname Kathleen

story About 2 yrs. ago, my lover and I visited New Orleans, La. for a long weekend. It was our first visit. The city, especially the Quarter, is filled with history and all the impressions that go with it. We thought it to be great fun to take a late night Ghost and Vampire Walking Tour. Our leader was most informative and perfect for his role of macabre storyteller! As we ended our tour by walking down Pirate’s Alley beside the cathedral on the square, I saw out of the corner of my eye(left side) a shadowy figure wearing a priest’s robe. At the same time he seemed to be passing us, my lover immediately chilled as she felt a “touch” on top of her head. Of course, when I turned to see more clearly, I saw nothing. My catholic upbringing helped me in saying to Jackie that you just got blessed! We later learned it was not unusual for him to be seen doing his rounds.

Has anyone else experienced this fellow? Thanks for letting me share this brief account.

Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 19:50:17 -0700 (PDT)
yourname Mark

This is something that happened in the later part of 1995 and early 1996. I had just gotten out of the Navy, and was planning to attend college. I got a job at the local Wal-Mart store. This was in Clinton, Mississippi. I was on the overnight stocking crew. Anyway, there were about 15 of us on the crew, and we only stocked certain parts of the store. We would all hear noises coming from empty parts of the store, but never really thought anything of it.

One night, we were stocking the food and candy section. We heard a loud noise a few isles over. I didn’t think much of it, because there were other people on other isles. I came to find out that at the time, no one was on that isle the noise came from. I went to look and saw a 2 liter bottle of Sam’s cola on the floor. It had been busted open on the bottom. None of the other bottles were disturbed. I chalked it up to a defective bottle.

Things continued to happen in the food and candy section as the night went on. Freshly stocked shelves were found in disarray, and canned foods were, although still on the shelf, turned on their sides.

To this day, I still don’t know if it was some sort of paranormal phenomona (sp?) or if one of my co-workers was just having a bit of fun with us.

That’s the closest thing to a haunting of any kind I’ve ever experienced. So I figure I have nothing to compare it to.

Thanks for listening.

Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 10:14:02 -0700 (PDT)
yourname Manon

story I live in an old house that’s about 90 years old. The master bedroom, which was built on within the last 15 years, is right next to mine.

One calm night, while I was laying in bed, alone in the house, I heard a sound coming from the master bedroom. It sounded like someone opening and closing the wooden dresser drawers.

So, I quickly jumped out of bed, flew open the master bedroom door, and turned on the light to find nothing there, and the windows all closed up. I went back to bed, and started reading again, and suddenly I could hear the sound again.

I went back and checked, and nothing. I couldn’t understand it. It wasn’t the sound of an old house settling, I’m used to those sounds.

Another time, I was at my boyfriend’s house, when my sister called. She was upset because she was all alone with my cat (who was with her), and she could hear someone walking around in the master bedroom. When someone is walking around in the master room, you can hear them because it’s a subfloor and creaks loudly when you walk across the room.

I mentioned it to a few of the neighbors to see what they knew. Apparently, the old man who used to live in the house died in the master bedroom because of a heart attack!! Who really knows!! I haven’t heard anything since but my cat always gets weird and stares at nothing with wide eyes and makes me think that there is someone just around the corner, but as usual.. there’s nothing there!! But as I’m told, animals see things we don’t!

Nova Scotia, Canada

Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 08:32
yourname Rich

story Ghostly Spitfire

Hey Everyone, just thought I would share my true experiance with you.

I am 22 and I live in England – My experience happened when I was around 10 years old and still in middle school.

The whole school was on lunch hour and alot of us were out on the school field and it was a lovely hot day, no clouds were in the sky. As we played we noticed that the sky was beginning to darken really quickly, and at it’s darkest point we saw something which we could not explain. Out from the clouds we saw a plane – Not an ordinary plane but a Spitfire – Nothing unusual about that you may think -but this one was PURE WHITE and there was no engine noise what so ever. The other bizarre thing was, as quickly as it appeared, the thing vanished and the clouds rolled back and it was fine again. I remember this as though it was yesterday and so does my friend who I was with.

Thankyou for Listening to my story.

All the best folks


Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 01:32:02 -0700 (PDT)
yourname Tony Dow

story After working nights at a distribution company in Surrey, England, I used to take a shortcut home across Mitcham Common. This would normally be about three o’clock in the morning.

As you would imagine, the Common is normally dead quiet however on this particular occasion the still air was interrupted by the distant sound of wheels turning. I carried on walking in the same direction and noticed the noise getting louder. Whatever it was, it was coming towards me.

Moments later I was relieved to see that it was just a cyclist yet surprised that the person riding the bike was only about seven years old. Why was he out at this time of the morning?

As the bicycle passed me, I looked around and noticed him looking back at me constantly. Despite carrying on cycling, his gaze was fixed on me as he continued to look over his shoulder. I was amazed at how he could maintain control of the bike like this and what followed absolutely scared the life out of me…

The bicycle carried on (with him aboard) across a large pond. He was cycling on the surface of the water, still looking at me over his shoulder. I was now convinced that I was experiencing something quite out of the ordinary. His clothes were all white…and so indeed was the bicycle. I ran home after seeing this!

The group of ponds on this part of Mitcham Common are known as The Seven Islands. I have always wondered if there is a story behind what I witnessed such as perhaps a drowning of a young boy, perhaps cycling on the ice? I have never looked into however for fear of what I may find.

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 17:52:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: Skadazzler (
Subject: The old doll hanging in the laundry room

This is a story told to me many times by my best friend, Rachel. It still creeps me out when I think about it or hear about it..

Rachel’s family used to live in a town called Reading, Pa. You may know of it as a really big shopping center. Well anyway, as her mom was doing laundry, she had always noticed this spooky looking porcelain doll hanging by the neck from the clothes line down in the basement, where the laundry room was. She always vowed never to mess w/ it for it looked to creepy. So they lived there about 4 months and then moved out because her dad found a job about 5 hours away, near Pittsburgh.

When her family had moved, she was about 10 and her mom still kept in touch w/ the old neighbors in Reading. Well one day her old next door neighbor called and told her that the new people that moved in after her had taken the porcelain doll down from the clothes line and weird stuff started to happen. As the kids were asleep in Rachel’s old room at night, their dolls and toys started flying around in the room. Also, they started to see figures at the foot of their beds at night but they would quickly disappear. As they walked up and down the stairs, they would feel something brush up against them. These people didn’t live there too long, needless to say.

Although Rachel never first handedly witnessed these things, she felt weird because many of these things happened in her old room. And she always told her mom to take down that stupid doll cuz it creeped her out. but her mom wouldn’t and i think rachel was glad for that.

Who knows what significance that doll had. but i guess rachel’s just glad that it didnt happen to her! =)


Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 15:53:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: Anonymous
Subject: Chimney Cat

Howdy!! I’ve been reading ghost stories for a while now and I have decided to add mine to the bunch. Trust me this is a true story!!!

It was my husband and I’s first apartment together and everything seemed “normal”. (I get “feelings” quite a bit, and like glimpses around the corner kind of thing). One day I was sitting on the couch and watching TV. All of a sudden I hear this cat “meow” repeatedly. It was low but distinct. I muted the TV and listened for a minute. It seemed to get louder. Well I freaked thinking a cat was stuck in the chimney! Being a major animal lover, I called my husband and told him what was going on. He said “Go outside and look on the roof” so I did. Nothing nowhere.

I panicked again and called maintance. He ran over (also a cat lover) and couldn’t hear anything although I could!!! He then told me that the people above me had moved out about 2 weeks earlier! So then I thought some jerk left his cat when they moved and it was starving! The guy went upstairs into the empty apartment, nothing. He even looked as best as he could up the chimney from that floor. He also climbed up on the roof to look down the chimney. Nothing. The whole time I’m hearing this cat. There was wire around the chimney so that animals don’t get stuck. He was starting to think I was nuts I’m sure. The apartment on our left is show apartment and the old lady behind us was allergic to cats. (I asked), we didn’t have an apartment on the right. Trust me i ran all around the apartment on the outside, nothing there either. Later I was told by a member of the management that an old man lived in our apartsment a while back. He died in our apartment owning 2 cats. Apparently they loved him also.

Go figure.

Katy, TX

Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 10:30:46 -0700 (PDT)

story When I was a lad of about thirteen (four years ago), my family lived in a house in Centralia, WA, that was built in the forties. For the first month that we lived there, somebody would enter the house at four in the morning and start watching the television. My parents got fed up about the third time and ran in to see who it was, because they thought it was either me or my brother. There was noone there. This continued for about a year.

Upstairs, my brother and I had a different problem. Strange animals prowled into our room and were clearly physical. Both of us saw them. Their were, in total, four white mice, a possum and a white bird (!). However, we continually attempted to catch them. One night, my brother caught on of the mice in a tin lunch box. We could hear it inside, rattling about in fury. I turned on the lights, and when he lifted the box, the mouse was nowhere to be found. Our parents searched the room and nothing was found.

Later, we were picking blackberries in the backyard when we smelt a hideous smell. It was completely undescribable, but I’ll try. It smelled like burning flesh and perfume with something sickeningly sweet in there for good measure.

Needless to say, we moved to a brand new and ghost-free house.

Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 22:14:47 -0700 (PDT)
yourname Randwolffe
email Jase Mason@Aol.Com

story During Operation Desert Storm I served as a combat communications specialist with the United States Army in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. I had documented many unusual cases of what I recently found out as Electronic Voice Phenomena. Many people ,like myself, had answered calls over telephone switchboards to find out that the switchboard did not have batteries or even a telephone wire hooked to it while the whispering voices carried on a desperate conversation, sometimes in Arabic. We had started to call these “ghost rings” and noticed even after the ground battle had ceased that they still occured. I tried for years to try and rationalize that this was a case of delayed stress syndrome, post traumatic stress disorder, and even paranoia until I encountered others over the internet who had expierienced the same phenomenon in other wars. I now a believe in paranormal activities and some how wonder if those voices were lost in battle as they wandered around through the confusion! ! trying to find the otherside. I am certain paranormal activities are heightened during a battle and further studies should be performed because many soldiers that make it out alive expierience claravoyance and ESP the rest of their lives. I would like to hear from others who expierienced this EVP to start a discussion list, but since I am moving back home to Montana in a few weeks I won’t be on the internet for a few months(but I will keep my AOL active to recieve E-mail and will answer everyone when I get back online). Jase Mason@Aol.Com

Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 16:33:45 -0700 (PDT)
yourname Titi

story First of all, I am not sure that this is about ghosts. My husband does, though. My husband and I are medical doctors, as well as my parents. We live in Lima, Peru.

In the house where we live now used to live my husband’s grandparents many years ago, until they died (in the house I’m afraid). We have two kids, a three years old girl and a one year old boy. Now, there goes my story.

Yesterday my kids were at my parents house for the afternoon as usually (for we haven’t got a nanny), and while being there my little boy tore the zipper of his sister’s school uniform jacket. It was like that beyond doubt, for my mother even told me that the piece that moves to close the zipper was lost. Well, I didn’t really look at it last night because I planned to get a new zipper during the weekend. The only comment I made was that it was a problem because my daughter needed to wear her jacket in the inter-nursery schools olimpics on june 24.

Now, to tell the truth, we forgot the jacket in my parents’ house, so my husband had to go for it (which my mother had put in a bag) late last night. He put the bag in the dining room instead of the bedroom so that he didnt’t awake the kids.

The amazing fact is that this morning, when he was changing my daughter for school… THE JACKET WAS AS GOOD AS NEW!!!! No torn zipper was there. I’ve already asked my parents and they can’t make out what happenned.

My husband says it must be his grandparents, who wouldn’t want their great-grandniece to go around with a torn jacket.

What do you think about it?

Feel free to e-mail me,please.

Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 07:51:50 -0700 (PDT)
yourname Chris Charmech

story 8 years ago a friend visited some people in San Francisco. She and her husband spent the night in their house.

During the night she was wakened by 3 ghosts — two girls of about 8 or 9 years, and a man in his mid-thirties. All were dressed in clothes of the 1920s. My friend, who has seen ghosts before and doesn’t like the experience, tried to shut them out or make them go away, but they were very insistent that she listen to them.

The man said he was Julius Kahn, a congressman of San Francisco who had died in office. He wanted the world to know that he had abducted these little girls from Aquatic Park, and then murdered them. Filled with remorse, he killed himself a few months later.

Nobody ever guessed his crime, and his spirit wants the world to know. He seemed to be reconciled with the spirits of his victims. My friend protested that nobody would believe her, so as proof, the ghosts took her on an astral visit to the Aquatic Park.

My friend never heard of this park before, but she was able to describe it accurately to her human hosts at breakfast.

If this story is read by any resident of San Francisco, I would be grateful if they would check newspaper files of the 1920s to see if they can find any record of Julius Kahn, and the girls missing from Aquatic Park a few months before the death of Kahn.

Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 15:58:24 -0700 (PDT)
address anonymous

story my son was diagonsed with a cancer and given a 10%chance of survival. he is mentally retarded his age is 16 but he has the mind of a six year old( santa claus is real because he has all those reindeer) he has no concept of ghosts religion or anything like that. during his chemo he often said come get all these people out of his room. this went on night after night for about 3 weeks. we would go in and no one was there. he would say can;t you see them. we never saw anything. then it stopped for a few days. one night he took a bath about ten minutes later i my other son and daughter saw a white (cloud) for want iof a better word go down our ceiling and into his room. we sat on the couch and i did not say a word. minutes later the son said there was smoke in his room. i went in he was two feet in front of me and i asked where is the smoke? he said it was beteen him and me and those people were in his bathroom also tell them to leave. i saw nothing.

this was the last time he ever mentioned anything about it. now its two years later he is still alive and they say he seems cured. coulkd this have been a paranormal experience? i think so i know it happened i saw the cloud. my son doesnt know a ghost from bugs bunny to him everythong is real

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *