This story a part of the True Ghost Stories archive at Please do not copy or distribute without permission.

Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 12:11:22 -0800 (PST)

I grew up jealous of my parents. My mom had what she called “intuition”. She always knew what was going to happen before it did. My dad had premonition dreams, forewarning him of future occurrences. I had no talent whatsoever. I always wanted something. Even a little something, of what they had. What I got was more than I had ever expected.

When I was in my junior year of high school, one of my best friends, Andy, died in a very unfortunate accident. Everyone was very shaken up by Andy’s death. He was a very likable and funny guy and we still miss him today.

I missed him a lot. Probably no more or less than any of his other friends, but a lot just the same. The only person I really talked to it about was Katie, my best friend. Katie was well learned in the paranormal, and suggested that we should try to contact him. I was raised in a very Christian home and brought up believing that it wrong wrong to disturb the dead. I argued this point with Katie and she told me that after I had tried, I would feel better about Andy’s death. And if I actually did make contact, than I could be at peace. Maybe, just maybe, Andy wanted to get in contact with people that were still alive. I decided that maybe trying to contact him wouldn’t be a bad idea after all.

I didn’t expect it to work.

We went to my grandparents house and borrowed my great Grandma’s Ouija board. It was old, cracked and brittle. Made out of pine, it was heavy and supposedly “unbreakable”. We took the old board back to my house. No one was home. My mom was off somewhere, probably at my aunt’s. Our house was an old Victorian with the usual old house creaks and bumps. The doors didn’t quite shut all the way. Normal old house stuff. We went up to my room, the only room on the top floor, lit some candles, and put in some music. Katie put in The Blue Oyster Cult’s ‘Don’t Fear the Reaper’. In the back of my mind, I was laughing, Ouija boards were merely parlor games and didn’t really work… right?

I knew Katie wouldn’t get off my back until I went through with this. So we began. We started talking to a ‘spirit’ named Blake. I wasn’t sure how much of what what was going on was true. I wasn’t believing it at all. So, Katie took the big step and asked Blake if we could get a hold of Andy. Blake helped us out and soon we were talking to a spirit who said he was Andy. I didn’t believe it. I didn’t want to and I didn’t see how it was possible.

What happened next scared me to death. We both started asking questions and the spirit was answering. So I started asking the spirit questions only Andy would know. He answered them all, correctly. I was doubtful, in fact I was mad that somehow, there was something pretending to be Andy.

So I made a mistake. I said prove it. Prove you are here. Prove you can see us. The temperature dropped almost immediately. But our hands stayed warm. I wasn’t convinced. It was an old house, it had sudden temperature changes. I said, okay. That was nothing I want to see something. The board spelled out QUARTER. I was stumped. Then it spelled WATCH QUARTER. “What is it talking about?” Katie asked. I shrugged. The CD started skipping. We both looked toward the stereo.

Something shiny flipped a couple feet in the air and hit the floor. The coin spun around several times before stopping. I walked over and picked up the coin. I was freaked out. Then I looked at what I held. A QUARTER.

I freaked. I got to the door. Katie screamed at me, “We have to say goodbye”!!! I turned back and walked back to the board. We said goodbye quickly. The board tried to argue with us. It kept saying NO NO NO. We both got up and ran for the door. I grabbed the door handle. It was stuck. I started crying. We turned back to the board. I turned off the stereo. We began to play again. We got Blake back almost immediately. “HE IS GONE YOU OK” He spelled. We said goodbye. the door opened this time and we left the house for the day.

Later when I returned home, I found that the glass eye of the Ouija indicator was broken and the quarter lay in its place. I don’t know who I was talking to. At first I think it could have been Andy but later when it wouldn’t let us leave I am sure this demon could not have been my friend.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *